Sunday, June 04, 2006

Cold Gettin' Dumb Like Just-Ice And Mantronix

What can I say? I'm was born in NorCal. And hyphy is some of the freshest shit out right now, and I'm loving it. It's about time the Yay gets some mainstream exposure.

Digital Underground - The Humpty Dance
from Sex Packets, Tommy Boy 1990
E-40 - Tell Me When To Go (ft. Keak Da Sneak)
from My Ghetto Report Card, Reprise/BME 2006
E-40 - Tell Me When To Go [Trackademicks Remix] (ft. Keak Da Sneak)
from ?, 2006
DJ Shadow - 4 Freaks (ft. Keak Da Sneak, Turf Talk, Mistah FAB and Droop-E)
from ?, 2006

First off, let's give credit where it's due to a track that definitely captures the ethos of the hyphy movement: "the one who put the satin on yo panties" Shock G, debuting his irrepressible nerd persona, Humpty Hump. Once he gets stupid and starts dancing like MC Hammer on crack, there's no denying this is a pre-Hyphy classic. Next we have the song that started it all and a remix of it, both of which are positively insane. As for the DJ Shadow... the nerds are gonna be PISSED. Fuck em. It may take a few listens to get used to at first, but this shit is GOOD.

A big thanks goes out to Palms Out Sounds and Can I Bring My Gat? for turning me on to this. And that was Dirk Diggler AKA Marky Mark ghostriding the whip, ala Boogie Nights.


HYPHY MOVEMENT '06 <<<

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home