Thursday, August 11, 2005

Thieves In The Night

I create my first post in the note of tragedy. In the early hours of this morning, our house was burgled. My roomate woke up to two shadowy figures in his room, who he proceeded to chase (naked) down the street.

Anyway, I was just happy it wasn't me. I didn't leave the door unlocked, and I didn't have my bag, keys, new shoes, clothes and professional camera stolen. But it seemed I emerged unscathed.

No. When I woke up two hours later, I couldn't find my backpack. Now for the tragic part: my bag had my CD wallet, which contained *sob* :
  • Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions...
  • Raekwon The Chef - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...
  • Mobb Deep - The Infamous
  • Xzibit - At The Speed Of Light
  • Paris - Sleeping With The Enemy (which wasn't even mine...)
The body count is still climbing, as I can't remember what exactly was in there. I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised in the coming days with more missing CDs. I just pray the Gravediggaz are safe.

You see, this is why I turn all my music into mp3s. In that way if a CD gets fuct or stolen, you always have the music. Anti-pirating is really pro-materialism. So maybe having my shit stolen was a good thing, morally. Redistribution of the wealth and all that. This is post-post-colonial Africa.

But with the thievery of some of my favorite albums, it gives me an opportunity to give you the first peek into my taste of hip-hop. So in tribute to my fallen CDs, I have posted my favorite tracks from them. It was nice while it lasted.


Xzibit - Plastic Surgery (ft. Saafir and Ras Kass)
from 'At The Speed Of Life', Loud 1996
Mobb Deep - Give Up The Goods (Just Step) (ft. Big Noyd)
from 'The Infamous', Loud 1995
Public Enemy - Terminator X To The Edge Of Panic
from 'It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back', Def Jam 1988

Raekwon - Guillotine (Swordz) (ft. Inspectah Deck, Ghost Face Killer and The GZA)
from 'Only Built 4 Cuban Linx...', Loud 1995



First let me address my man Xzibit, The Big Bad Insane Black John McClain. Every time I hear Talib Kweli say “the real emcee that your favourite rapper used to be”, I think of this dude. Xzibit has a great hard voice, the problem is that many people think that’s all there is to him. But go buy '40 Dayz & 40 Nightz' and you'll see this cat was on point with his lyrics and making that 'real Hip-Hop'. Anyway, motherfucker has basically forgotten the Liwit Crew and now just plays the role of unrepentant thug MC. This song is with his Golden State Warriors supergroup, and has X, Ras Kassy and the Saucee Nomad rhyming about slicing up wack emcees over one slinky-ass bassline. A Left Coast classic.

Prodigy and Havoc are some dark fucking dunns, and I'm a bit scarred of diving into the rest of the Mobb Deep catologue, but their sophmore album is filled with classics. This is a surprising track, a lot more upbeat (musically) then what they're known for, probably due to the production by fellow Queens native Q-Tip. I pity the fool who's unfamiliar with A Tribe Called Quest.

It's hard to pick a favorite off 'It Takes A Nation Of Millions...' but this PE track stands out due to the emphasis on the tag team of Chuck D and Flavor Flav, Terminator X chopping up Queen's 'Flash Gordon', and that whine curtousey of the Bomb Squad. Madness.

'Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Niggas' is widely hailed as a classic, and rightfully so. Over this killer beat by The RZA, Rebel INS drops another flawless verse, Ghostface viciously attacks all you 'fourteen-carat gold slum computer wizards' (which would've been this blog's title, so a sarcastic fuck you goes out to Killer Mike at 510 To 514), Rae drops a memorable verse and the Genius proves his namesake by keeping it "half short and twice strong" with his 12 bars. Ol' Dirty was right: Wu-Tang is the best.

So sorry about the long-ass intro to the post. Most of you are just in it for the mp3s, you don't care about the commentary on the music, and even less about my problems. But fuck you guys.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Royalty Free Beats For One Dollar said...

Royalty Free Beats For One Dollar

At

http://upbeat.tk

All of our one dollar beats are sample free and royalty free, these beats can be used for Rap, Hip Hop, R&B, advertising, motion production, sports, games, software, ringtones, and more. All we ask is two things, one if you use these beats for commercial purposes that you give "upbeat.tk" written credit for our production and two not to resell or give away beats without vocals if used for musical purposes. Links to download beats will be sent by e mail after purchase, each beat will be sent as a WAVE Audio File and a MP3 File. When purchased you will have non-exclusive rights to the beat or beats you buy for life. If you have any questions feel free to email us at upbeattk@gmail.com thank you and enjoy.

7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home