Saturday, August 20, 2005

The Grand Opening

I've been caught slipping this past week, so let's just recap on a few things that stand out (from my skewed point of view):

First up, a shoutout goes to my man Ekko at berkleyplace for giving me a bit of promotion this past week. Ass-kissing aside, I always hit his site up to get that Real Hip-Hop and good music of other genres that my narrow tastes would've ignored. Thanks homey.

Have you heard the new Kanye West and Nas track?? Get it at We Eat So Many Shrimp... there's nothing I can really say without repeating Icarus. (Except wtf is up with the Angel wings on Kanye?)

Also, definitely check out The Broke BBoys for some tracks by Ugly Duckling and my man, Planet Asia. I'ma take a cue from Audio1 now and move on to MY post... on Planet Asia!!

Planet Asia, ain't a damn thing changed
Now Planet Asia is no rookie in the game. I've been aware of him since 1999, but I'll admit I was sleeping on him because now I am an eager fan. One half of the Cali Agents, Planet Asia has been paying dues with cameo appearances all over the place.. and we all know the collabo is one of the best things in Hip-Hop, right? Right.

Peanut Butter Wolf - Definition Of Ill [Remix] (ft. Planet Asia)
from Definition Of Ill 12", Stones Throw Records 1999
Planet Asia - Real Niggaz (ft. Ghostface Killah)
from Grand Opening, Avatar 2004
Talib Kweli - Thiefs' Theme (ft. J-Hood and Planet Asia)
from The Beautiful Mix Tape, Vol. 2, okayplayer 2005
Zion-I - Critical [Madlib Remix] (ft. Planet Asia)
from Critical 12", Ground Control 2000

First off we have a stone-cold Stones Throw classic, with Peanut Butter Wolf on the cut, Madlib on the beat, and Planet Asia dropping science on the mic. Moving on.

The next track features an emcee that has firmly established himself as one of my favorites recently: the Ghostface Killah. 'Real Niggaz' is a Supa Dave West production that fits right in with the sound of 'The Pretty Toney Album'. Music for the Gods.

Nas' 'Thief's Theme' was one of my favorite singles over the past year, a large part of that due to Salaam Remi's sampling of Iron Butterfly's 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida'. Badass. Talib sounds hard as fuck over this, but Planet Asia straight KILLS this freestyle, easily outshining the over-hyped J-Hood from D-Block.

Lastly, we have an example of Hip-Hop brilliance. I've heard the original of 'Critical' and its tight: a nice beat and great lyrics from two of Northern California's finest, but it has nothing on this remix. Madlib makes sure you're paying attention to every development as he creates a beat for each verse plus interludes, and throws in shit like bird calls just to freak you out. Smoking a blunt can only enhance the experience.

Now go buy one of his albums. 'Still In Training' is solid from start (and almost) to finish. Download 'The Massacre' and shit you can't find in stores. These are the type of cats to support.

UPDATE: Check out this cool Planet Asia interview over at ThaFormula.com.

3 Comments:

Blogger Scholar said...

Es-Won: Much gratitude for linking Souled On. And by the way---if you keep doing posts of this quality, you'll def. have a big readership in a minute. Stay fly bro...

10:53 PM  
Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Just passing through, I'm liking the blog by the way.

8:59 PM  
Blogger Ekko said...

More Stones Throw, please.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home